This blog is about my experience of sailing and boat ownership. I hope to share some information regarding work I've done on SAGA, a pacific seacraft 25. And maybe even some adventures when the work is all done...
I grew up on the Chesapeake bay and have always had salt water in my veins. I just never had a boat. My family did not sail, but at age 12 I went to sailing school in Connecticut. At age 16 I sailed on the Pride of Baltimore as a cadet. Soon after I crewed on a Bugeye on the bay. I taught sailing at St Mary's College and was on the racing team there. I taught sailing in Maine at a summer camp. I sailed with friends a lot. I wanted more! One day I decided "I'd better get a boat, " so I did.
It would have to be a boat I could sail alone, I wanted to go sailing anytime without needing crew. I wanted a boat I could learn to maintain by myself and that would be affordable to maintain. I had dreams of living aboard and cruising so she would have to have a snug cabin, some type of galley and maybe a head. The boat would have to be beautiful. I had spent so much time on wooden boats, each with a warm, traditional, salty character that I had come to love. I wanted to somehow recreate that experience for myself in my boat.
She would have to be a boat that would handle boisterous weather; that is to say she had to be seaworthy with a bit of bluewater in her veins- I did to want to have to hide from wind, waves and rain.
Most importantly, she'd have to be a boat I could afford to purchase.
There are probably a few boats available that fit this description, but the one I found is a 1978 Pacific Seacraft 25. She had lots of potential, which is to say, she needed a bit of work... But most boats do, as you know. That's part of the fun!
Hey Joann thanks for sharing your adventure with SV SAGA. I found your video earlier today and the link to your blog in the comments. I stumbled on hull 190 and reached out to the owner to see if they had interest in selling. It appears to last touch water in 2001 👀
ReplyDelete